Typical examples of using wikis include glossaries, policies, FAQs, and process descriptions. The wiki app is also often used in departments like IT or HR to handle processes or, in the case of HR, even to on-board new employees.
With the help of this article, we’ll explain to you how you can integrate the app into your Haiilo, easily bring order and structure to a it, print single articles and duplicate them.
If you are an admin and are on a page or in a community, select the wiki app under "Add app".
Then make all of the desired settings.
- Author: Who is allowed to publish articles in the wiki: Be sure to think about this in advance. Should everyone contribute or only the administrators of the element – both have advantages and disadvantages. The default setting is "Admins".
- Home article: Do you want an article to be displayed first when you open the wiki app? This is helpful if you have an article as an explanation for the wiki app and would like to place it first.
- Comments: Would you like feedback or reactions? Then activate comments and likes.
- Depending on the requirements on the wiki, it is not always sensible to activate comments. The statement in the article can be weakened if colleagues start debating it. On the other hand, if the wiki intentionally aims to encourage discussion, e.g. the creation of a process, the comments can also be deactivated later on. The comments can only be seen by the app admins if this function is deactivated later on. If topics should be discussed in detail by your employees, it’s worth integrating the forum app instead.
- Hide author: Depending on how important it is to you, the author of the article can be hidden. Admins can always see the author.
No further settings are necessary for the wiki app, so you can just get started and create your wiki articles.
Write and create wiki articles
A wiki is intended to allow your colleagues to find and take in information quickly and easily. As a result, we recommend that you do not simply create blocks of text, but instead create a wiki that is as attractive as possible.
The advanced mode
In "Advanced mode", you can illustrate the content by adding, for instance, graphic elements to the text. If you are adding a new article, you will see the option to activate advanced mode in the bottom left-hand corner.
Through this function you have the chance to extend a wiki article with widgets. There are no limits to your creativity. However, please make sure that the structure remains clear and structured. More information about widgets can be found here.
When a wiki article is published, it generates a notification to all users of the respective location of the wiki app (e.g. members of a community or subscribers of a page).
This notification can also be disabled for already published wiki articles with the option "Notify subscribers about this update", if this should be necessary.
Sub articles, move, print, draft & duplicate
New subarticles are always displayed under the main article that they’re assigned to. If you then move the subarticle, new articles can nevertheless be identified straight away by the label "NEW".
Articles that you add to a wiki app are arranged in chronological order. If you would like to customize how they are sorted, you can move the wiki articles up or down via drag & drop.
Click on the desired article until a dotted line appears and then move the article to the desired position. Haiilo shows you where the article can be moved to. This also allows you to make subarticles independent articles and change the order.
Wikis are collections of information. It’s possible to print wiki articles, as they should also be accessible in an analog form if required. This option can be selected for a single article or for a complete topic with its main and sub-articles.
Open the article that you want to print. If you click on the three dots on the right next to the title, you will find the option "Print article" / "Print article with sub-articles".
When selecting the version, a preview opens to show how the wiki article will look as a printout. You can then use "Print" in the browser menu to select the printer (normal printer or PDF printer).
A user who has the permission to create a wiki article can also create it as a draft.
These draft articles can then only be viewed by users who have the same permissions for the wiki app.
Currently, it is not yet possible to create sub-articles for articles that are in draft mode.
A wiki article can be duplicated with its entire content at any time. To do this, the "Duplicate" button of an article must be selected in the overview or detailed view by a user who has the permission to create a wiki article in the wiki app.
A duplicated wiki article is then created as a draft with the same title plus the addition of "Copy of" at the beginning.
Social interactions such as likes and comments are not duplicated. And sub articles are not automatically duplicated when the main article is duplicated.
How long are the "New" and "Updated" labels displayed?
The "New" and "Updated" labels are displayed for 5 days each.